Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hawaii

It's hard to believe in about 3 weeks I will be living in Hawaii. Just over a month ago it seemed like a long shot and not even on the realm of possibilities. Now...it is a fast approaching reality.

I'm excited. Really excited. I know I am given opportunities a lot of people aren't. I know I am blessed financially to experience a lot, see a lot, do a lot. I know I have the personality and independence to take a leap of faith like this...honestly...I don't think a lot of people do or would. Maybe that's why some people seem a little negative or not that excited about my move. But as with most negative people...I don't pay them too much attention :)

I'm excited of "checking out" or going off the map for a year. In other words...no traffic, no busy roads, no fast food restaurants or strip malls. A simple life. A laid back life. All of that is very appealing to me. But don't get me wrong...I will miss my weekly Target trips and hopefully Old Navy ships to Hawaii relatively inexpensively! Haha

Am I nervous? Well of course! Anyone would be I think. I'm nervous I will be lonely. It will be hard not having Roxie there especially and just not knowing anyone...not one single person. I'm nervous about getting back in the classroom and teaching subjects and grades I haven't taught before. It will be like the first day of teaching all over again. I'm nervous I won't fit in, won't bond with my coworkers. I'm worried I'll get homesick. It will be crazy to be half way around the world. The 6 hr time change alone from ATL will be interesting.

I'm bummed to miss out on events back in SD and ATL. Showers for my best friend's wedding, bachelorette party, birthday parties for friends' kids, seeing my cousin's baby often, and just the mundane things that happen in life. But what I have learned in the past 2 years of living away is that you can't put off your life to please others or meet their expectations. I truly have no one to answer to. I don't mean that rudely but it's true. When I go to make a decision I put myself first these days...and I haven't always done that. Its still hard to miss out on things though...I'm slowly getting used to it.

However, despite all of those nerves I'm still looking forward to the experience...the adventure.

I'm a big believer in things working out how they are supposed to. I'm supposed to go to Hawaii...otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the job. It's that simple to me.

One day...years from now...pretty sure I will look back on my time in Hawaii and be glad I went...regardless of how long I end up staying there, how much I do or don't like it. I will learn something, I will grow, and knowing me...I'll be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment